Where Can I Get A Copy Of My Divorce Decree In South Africa

Where Can I Get A Copy Of My Divorce Decree In South Africa

Final divorce decrees filed in South Africa cannot be requested from the Department of Home Affairs. A divorce decree can only be obtained directly from the Court where the divorce was filed.  

To do so, you will need to supply the court with certain information, such as –

  1. Your divorce case number;
  2. The name of the court where your divorce was finalized;
  3. Date (day, month, and year) of the divorce, and
  4. Names and ID numbers of the plaintiff and defendant.

If you don’t have the above, you will (at the very least) require your divorce case number and the court where it was finalized.

How do I get divorce papers in South Africa?

Visit the High Court or a Family Court in your area. Ask a clerk for help with a summons, which will have the reasons for your divorce, personal details, and details on custody of children and property. You will need to make copies and issue the documents to the clerk. He/she will sign it and give a reference number.

Can a divorce decree be reversed in South Africa?

“However, a recent case has shown that this is not impossible.” An application to vary or rescind a divorce order must be done in the relevant court. It must be accompanied by an affidavit outlining the reasons for the application and justifying the variation.

How do you get a divorce in community of property in South Africa?

In a community property divorce, the parties must divide the assets equally between them. Regarding the house, however, one party can acquire 100% ownership, but only after making a financial adjustment to reflect the worth of the other spouse’s 50% portion.