What is an ID?
An identity document is any document that may be used to prove a person’s identity. If issued in a small, standard credit card size form, it is usually called an identity card, or passport card.
Where Can I Certify My ID In South Africa?
- You can have copies of original documents certified at any police station, at any time.
- The certification of copies is done free of charge.
- You must provide your own copies. The police station’s resources such as photocopy machines and paper, are not for use by the public.
- You must provide the original documents when requesting to have copies certified. Copies will not be certified if the original documents are not produced for verification.
- Please be patient. Remember that the police station has certain priorities to deal with, and it might take a while before they can attend to you.
- Alternatively, you can have copies certified at the following places:
- Lawyers or notary public (who are members of a recognized professional body)
- Actuaries or accountants (who are members of a recognized professional body)
- Members of the judiciary
- Directors, managers, or company secretaries of a bank or regulated financial services business.
Who can certify ID documents in South Africa?
Typically, the list will include notaries, attorneys, advocates, and commissioners for oaths. In some instances, it includes a wide range of persons including accountants and magistrates.
What documents can be used to prove ID?
Driver’s license, national identity card, or a lapsed passport. A photo ID card issued by the Commonwealth, state, or territory in your name.
What is required to apply for a South African ID?
First-time applicant: Birth Certificate, proof of address and in case of minors, must be accompanied by the parent/s.
Permanent resident of South Africa: Green bar-coded ID. First-time applicant: Permanent residence certificate and proof of address.
How long does an ID take in South Africa?
14 working days from the date of application provided it is a straight forward application meeting all the requirements.