What Is Needed To Apply For PDP In South Africa
Personal development planning or PDP is a structured framework you can use to: become aware of the skills you have. identify and develop the skills you need. work out what you want to achieve and how to achieve it. focus on potential study, career, and personal development options and goals.
In this article, Satacts.co.za tries to answer this question by publishing the requirements needed to apply for PDP in South Africa.
To drive on a public road in South Africa transporting goods, dangerous goods or passengers for an income you must have a professional driving permit (PrDP).
The permit is issued in addition to an ordinary driving licence. A PrDP applies to the following motor vehicle categories:
- a goods vehicle with a gross vehicle mass exceeding 3 500kg
- a breakdown vehicle or a bus
- a minibus weighing more than 3 500kg or designed to carry 12 or more people (the driver included)
- light motor vehicles indicated in the economic sector for carrying passengers for reward (taxi-cab)
- a motor vehicle designed to carry 12 or more people
- any vehicle for which an operating licence is issued
- dangerous goods vehicle (e.g. fuel tanker).
Age restrictions for the motor vehicle categories are as follows:
- you should be 18 years or older to hold a PrDP for a goods vehicle
- you should be 21 years or older to hold a PrDP for a passenger vehicle
- you should be 25 years or older to hold a PrDP for a dangerous goods vehicle.
You can only obtain a PrDP if you:
- have a valid driving licence for the type of vehicle in question
- have been certified as medically fit by a doctor
- have been certified by an approved training body (only required for category D (dangerous goods) vehicles)
- do not have a criminal record for (in the past five years):
- driving a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a drug having a narcotic effect
- driving a motor vehicle while the concentration of alcohol in your blood or breath exceeded a statutory limitation
- in the case of an application for a category P and D permit, an offence of which violence was an element.
- have never had your driving licence suspended
- have never been convicted of a criminal offence or paid an admission-of-guilt fine.
As the operator or owner of the motor vehicle for which a PrDP is required, you may not let another person drive the vehicle on a public road unless they have a valid PrDP for the appropriate category.
What do you need to apply for a PDP license Online in South Africa?
An applicant must submit the following documents:
- PD1 form; hyperlink
- SAPS report;
- Medical report;
- Certified copy of South African Identity Document.
- Copy of driving licence;
- Full address and contact details.
How long is a South African PDP valid for?
A professional driving permit is valid for 24 months. Professional driving permits are generally referred to as Prdp’s. The categories of drivers that need professional driving permits are listed in regulations 115 (1).