What Is Top E-commerce Sites?
E-commerce (electronic commerce) is the activity of electronically buying or selling of products on online services or over the Internet. E-commerce draws on technologies such as mobile commerce, electronic funds transfer, supply chain management, Internet marketing, online transaction processing, electronic data interchange (EDI), inventory management systems, and automated data collection systems. E-commerce is in turn driven by the technological advances of the semiconductor industry, and is the largest sector of the electronics industry.
Types Of E-commerce Sites?
The scope of e-commerce is vast, but the types of sites that host electronic transactions can be broken down according to the parties involved.
- Business-to-consumer (B2C): Probably the most familiar to the average person, a B2C site enables an exchange of goods or services between a business and a consumer, such as buying a T-shirt from your favorite online shop.
- Business-to-business (B2B): A B2B platform facilitates electronic transactions between two businesses. If you own a company that sells T-shirts, for example, you might buy those shirts from an online wholesaler.
- Business-to-administration (B2A): A B2A site facilitates electronic exchanges between an organization and a public institution, like the website of a company that designed your city’s web portal, for instance.
- Consumer-to-consumer (C2C): A C2C site, often known as a marketplace, hosts an exchange of goods between 2 or more consumers. Examples include websites like Etsy and eBay.
- Consumer-to-business (C2B): On a C2B site, individuals offer goods or services to businesses. This could be a freelance SEO expert who works with companies in a certain industry or an influencer paid to promote a company’s products.
- Consumer-to-administration (C2A): Similar to B2A, this type of site allows a consumer to provide information, goods, or services to public administration and governmental organizations think paying a parking ticket on your city’s web portal.
Top E-commerce Sites In South Africa?
A key step to start selling online is choosing the best eCommerce platform that you will use to build your eCommerce website and online store. This platform will provide you with the skeleton of your website and a website builder, where you will add your content, your product descriptions, your blog posts, and so on. In this article we review the best eCommerce platforms in South Africa to help you make your choice.
Here are the best eCommerce platforms in South Africa, all reviewed below:
- Shopify – Best for larger businesses
- Portmoni – Best South African platform
- WooCommerce – Best open-source platform