Replacing A Lost South African Driving Licence

About replacing a damaged, lost or stolen driving licence card

If your driving licence card is lost, stolen or damaged, you can apply for a new one.

You will have to apply for a temporary driving licence at an additional cost while waiting for your driving licence card to be issued.

To get a replacement card, you will not be required to take a driving licence examination, but you will undergo eye testing and your fingerprints will be taken. Alternatively, you can have your eyes tested by an optometrist and submit the form at the driving license testing centre (DLTC).

What you should do

  1. Go to the nearest DLTC with:
    • Your identity document (ID) and a copy of the ID or a valid South African passport and copy.
    • Proof of postal and residential address e.g. utility account. If the utility bill is not in your name, the owner of the bill must make an affidavit declaring that you live at the address and the utility bill must be attached to the affidavit.
    • If you stay at an informal settlement, you must bring a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor confirming your postal and residential address.
    • Four identical black-and-white photographs. You must first confirm with the DLTC how many photos they require before you have photos taken.
  2. Gauteng residents should apply online:
  3. Complete the Application for driving licence (DL1) form.
  4. Complete the notification of change of address or particulars of person or organisation (NCP) form.
  5. You will be required to undergo an eye test.
  6. Alternatively, the eye test can be done at an optometrist of your choice; the results should be brought to the DLTC.

How long does it take

  • Your new driving licence should be ready within four to six weeks.
  • A temporary driving licence is issued immediately.

How much does it cost

Contact your local licencing office for the cost.

Forms to complete

The Application for driving licence form (DL1) is available at any driving licence testing centre and on the eNatis website.