Marriage Registration In South Africa

What is Marriage?

Marriage, also called matrimony or wedlock, is a culturally and often legally recognized union between people called spouses. 

Marriage Registration In South Africa

If you got married in South Africa, kindly send the following documents by e-mail to the Consulate General where you are registered to be able to adjust your marital status in the National Register:

  • the South African marriage certificate (abridged or unabridged), legalized with the Apostille by DIRCO
  • registration form for a foreign family member (if your spouse isn’t Belgian), signed by your spouse. Dutch form (DOCX, 33.79 KB) / French form (DOCX, 37.46 KB)
  • copy of the passport/ID card of your spouse

You can have the South African marriage certificate transcribed into the Registers of Civil Status of a Belgian municipality. This is not mandatory, but the municipality can then provide extracts or certified copies of this certificate in the future if you need it. The marriage certificate can be transcribed in the register of civil status:

  1. of your place of residence in Belgium;
  2. of your last place of residence in Belgium;
  3. of the place of residence of your relatives in ascending line (father, mother, grandfather, grandmother);
  4. of the municipality where you were born in Belgium;
  5. of the City of Brussels.

The transcription is not automatic and is made at your request, directly to the municipality.

You will have to submit the following documents to the municipality: an unabridged South African marriage certificate, legalized with the Apostille by the South African DIRCO, with translation into the language of the municipality.

Can a foreign marriage be registered in South Africa?

Usually registration processes are complicated and time consuming, however, to register a foreign marriage in South Africa is fairly straight forward; as long as you have with you all the necessary documents.

How long does it take to get a marriage certificate in South Africa?

Once your marriage officer notifies the Department of Home Affairs, you will automatically receive an abridged certificate.

An abridged certificate will be issued on the same day that it’s applied for. An application for an unabridged certificate takes approximately 6 to 8 weeks to process.