Interior design is the art and science of enhancing the interior of a building to achieve a healthier and more aesthetically pleasing environment for the people ..
BA Interior Design Interior Design Home Click here to download the Undergraduate Brochure Interior Designers engage with a range of interior spaces to create innovative spatial solutions with a thorough knowledge of building technology, materials and human environment needs.
The Department of Interior Design offers an undergraduate Bachelor Degree, Honours of Interior Design Degree and a Master of Art in Design. The Department’s facilities include designated studio areas first year to Master’s students and a centrally-located specialist computer studio.
Graduates are qualified for interior design careers in:
- Retail and commercial display
- Hospitality design
- Corporate design
- Exhibition design and display systems
- Residential design
Admission Requirements for the BA (Interior Design) (B8BA6Q)
- Senior Certificate or equivalent qualification with a minimum APS or M-score.
- Applicants meeting the minimum entrance requirements (APS or M-score) for the BA (Interior Design) Degree will be invited to attend an online entrance assessment and to submit a portfolio.
- Submission of a portfolio and participation in the online entrance assessment will only take place once you have officially applied to the university and have been invited by the faculty to participate in the selection process.
Recommended subjects include Art and Mathematics.
Average Point Score (APS)
A minimum APS of 23 with Mathematics or 24 with Mathematical Literacy is required to apply for the programme.
The submission of
a specified portfolio
|Language of teaching and learning||Other recognised languages|||
(50 – 59%)
(50 – 59%)
(50 – 59%)
Maths Lit: 5
This scoring system is used if the applicant completed school prior to 2008 or A/O levels.
A minimum M-score of 12 is required to apply for the programme.
Applicants meeting the minimum entrance requirements (APS or M-score) for the BA (Interior Design) Degree will be invited to attend an online entrance assessment and to submit a portfolio.
Applicants are selected by means of an entrance assessment consisting of:
· An online interview – testing your current knowledge of interior design and your interest in pursuing a career in this field.
· A written component –testing your basic writing skills and ability to analyse a designed interior space.
· A practical assessment comprising a drawing and a model – testing two- and-three- dimensional thinking and skills.
· And the submission of a portfolio – assessing your current skills, spatial understanding and creativity.
You will need the following equipment to complete the online entrance assessment:
- A range of graphite sketching pencils, a sharpener, an eraser, a metal-edged ruler, a cutting knife for cardboard, a tube of clear Bostik glue, a compass, one sheet of A3 cartridge drawing paper, and cardboard.
- A portfolio as described below.
- A portfolio of at least ten pieces of work is required.
- The work should ideally include examples of drawings, paintings or design.
NB: Submission of a portfolio and participation in the online entrance assessment will only take place once you have officially applied to the university and have been invited by the faculty to participate in the selection process.
Department of Interior Design
Ms.Nombuso P. LuthuliDepartmental Secretary
Telephone:+27 11 559 1115E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org