Military Skills Development System (MSDS)
The Military Skills Development System (MSDS) is a two-year voluntary service system that allows young South African citizens to serve in uniform.
Successful MSDS candidates will receive basic military training, specific mustering and functional training in the first year and be utilised or deployed internally or externally in the second year of the MSDS.
After the 2 years, you will either continue as part of the Reserve Force or receive a contract offer to join the Regular Force.
What kind of training can you expect?
In the first 2 years of voluntary service, you can expect to receive the following training.
First Year of Military Skills Development Service
- Basic military training and functional training.
- Corps specific training.
- Participation in practical military exercises.
- Combat ready training exercises.
- Selection of junior leaders.
Second Year of Military Skills Development Service
- Junior leaders (Officers) are receiving leader group corps training.
- Undergo Young Officers Formative training.
- Selection of Officers to study at the Military Academy.
- Focus on utilisation and deployment of Military Skills Development System troops.
Military Skills Development System members will receive wages for the duration of their two-year full-time training and utilisation.
If you are interested in joining the Military Skills Development System, you can contact SANDF’s Western Cape recruitment offices at 021 787 1144, or you can contact SANDF’s head office at (012) 355 6999 or via email at email@example.com.
Requirements for the MSDS programme
To qualify for the MSDS programme, you have to meet the following requirements:
- Be a South African citizen only. (No dual citizenship).
- Grade 12 Applicants must be between the ages of 18 – 22 years.
- Graduates and/or other Tertiary Qualification up to the age of 26 years.
- Completed Grade 12 with (Average of 50% or level 4) (Mathematics and Science will be advantageous).
- Admission Point Score (APS) of 17 excluded Life Orientation (LO).
- Leadership potential.
- Not to be area bound.
- Have no criminal record or pending cases.
- Comply with medical fitness requirements for the appointment (Minimum height Females 148cm, Males 155cm and Minimum weight Females 48kg, Males 52kg (Within average height/weight ratio.
How to apply
Applicants have to complete an application form for the army, navy or air force and submit it with the following certified documents:
Copy of ID,
copy of Grade 12 certificate/statement of results,
highest achieved qualifications (e.g. Degree, National Diploma or N6), and
a short CV.
Once your application form is completed, and all your documents have been certified, you can post it to:
SA Army HQ
Chief Directorate Army Corporate Services
Directorate Army Human Resource
Private Bag X 981
Specific related enquiries can be directed to 012 339 5803/5781/5243. Further information can be obtained on www.dod.mil.za, www.army.mil.za.