Fashion design is the art of applying design, aesthetics, clothing construction and natural beauty to clothing and its accessories.
Fashion Production describes the process by which concepts are made into a saleable physical product. … In most cases, this means going from a small set of samples or prototypes to commercial quantities of the item or style, often across multiple sizes, colours and patterns.
The student obtaining this qualification will demonstrate competency in analysing and applying the principles of the fashion system from production through to consumption in order to meet market demands.
The programme is structured to produce outcomes demonstrated by the student’s ability to:
- Develop and apply a production strategy that reflects market research, design development, branding, marketing, merchandising and distribution of a product range that meets the needs of an identified fashion target market.
- Apply advanced textile application, manual skills and computer technology (CAD/CAM) to the manufacturing processes of a diverse range of fashion products.
- Develop technical packages that analyse, solve and communicate problems related to technical product development and quality improvement of fashion products.
- Apply business, personnel and operations management principles to enhance quality, productivity and profitability related to fashion manufacturing.
- Conduct basic research in a selected specialised area of the fashion supply chain: technical product development; textile technology and application; production and quality systems; marketing and branding; material and product sourcing; and adoption and consumption of fashion items.
The programme will equip you with the necessary knowledge and skills for a career in the fashion industry, including:
- Career opportunities in retail, for example, buying and merchandising
- Pattern-maker and/or grader – manual and CAD-assisted
- Garment technologist
- Quality assurance
- Production coordinating
- Senior certificate or equivalent qualification with a minimum APS or M-score
- Online entrance selection process
- Compulsory school subject: English
Recommended school subjects for Fashion Design include Art, Design Studies, Business Economics and Mathematics
Online entrance selection requirements
- Online worksheet to assess basic English skill, maths literacy skills, paragraph writing and drawing skills.
- Digital submission of a drawing
Average Point Score (APS)
A minimum APS of 20 with Mathematics or 21 with Mathematical Literacy is required to apply for the programme.
|Min APS||Languages||||Mathematics||Other requirements|
|20 With Mathematics||Language of teaching and learning*||Other recognised language**|||
(50 – 59%)
(50 – 59%)
(40 – 49%)
Maths Lit: 4
|Entrance selection process|
*English, Home Language or English First Additional Language
** Home Language or English First Additional Language
Mrs. Antoinette Engel Brecht
Departmental Secretary: Fashion and Industrial Design
Tel: +27 11 559 1022