Fashion design is the art of applying design, aesthetics, clothing construction and natural beauty to clothing and its accessories
Apply advanced textile application, manual skills and computer technology (CAD/CAM) to the manufacturing processes of a diverse range of fashion products.
Fashion Design (B8FD1Q)
The purpose of the BA Fashion Design programme is to develop problem finders and problem solvers that have the competence to work independently as entrepreneurial fashion designers.The objective of this degree is to:
- Apply integrated knowledge and advanced conceptual thinking skills to solve complex fashion design problems;
- Use a range of design methods, processes and techniques to create, present and argue for professional fashion designs;
- Enable students to demonstrate knowledge of design history and theory in broader context and fashion design history and theory in discipline specific context, and to conduct design criticism and research.
The programme will equip you with the necessary knowledge and skills for a design career in the fashion industry, including:
— Problem solving through design
— Fashion entrepreneur
— Fashion designer
— Pattern engineer
Admission requirements — BA Design (Fashion Design) (B8FD1Q)
- Senior certificate or equivalent qualification with a minimum APS or M-score.
- Online entrance selection process
- Compulsory school subject: English.
Recommended school subjects for Fashion Design include Art, Design Studies, Business Economics and Mathematics
Online entrance selection requirements• Online worksheet to assess basic English skill, maths literacy skills, paragraph writing and drawing skills. • Digital submission of a drawing
Average Point Score (APS)
|Min APS||Languages||||Mathematics||Other requirements|
|23 With Mathematics||Language of teaching and learning*||Other recognised language**|||||
(50 – 59%)
(50 – 59%)
(50 – 59%)
OR Maths Lit: 5
|Entrance selection process|
A minimum APS of 23 with Mathematics or 24 with Mathematical Literacy is required to apply for the programme.
Mrs ANTOINETTE ENGELBRECHT
Departmental Secretary: Fashion and Industrial Design
Faculty Art, Design and Architecture
Tel +27 11 559 1022