Public managers: Manage our various public sector departments. They: Administer health services and redevelop our cities. Are involved in all aspects of criminal & public law. Ensure that proper staff planning and management is practiced in the form of human resource management and training, development.
How to Apply to MTU
All first-year applications are submitted through the Central Applications Office (CAO).
This is a simplified way of applying for more than one programme, using one application form, and paying a single application fee.
Use your unique CAO number as a reference when paying the application fee.
We advise prospective students to choose MUT as a first choice.
Application forms can be downloaded from the CAO website, www.cao.ac.za.
You may also apply online by going to www.cao.ac.za, clicking on the apply tab, then click on apply now, and following the easy application process.
The CAO number appears in a tear-off slip on the CAO application form.
General Admission Requirements
Each faculty stipulates admission requirements based on a points aggregate calculated from the best six subjects presented by the prospective student.
Over and above the points system, some departments administer a compulsory entrance test.
Not all applicants who meet the minimum requirements can be accepted due to limited space.
The selection process prioritizes the best-qualified applicants and those who selected MUT as their first or second choice.
Minimum Entrance Requirements
• National Senior Certificate with a diploma pass or N3 with 50% pass in Mathematics and English;
• A minimum of six subjects with a level 4 pass for Diploma study and level 3 for Access Courses;
• English Home Language or First Additional Language, level 4 pass;
• Specific subject combination and pass level relevant to the qualification; and
• Minimum points as per faculty requirement and as listed in the CAO handbook.
Checking the Progress of your Application
You can track the progress of your application by going to www.cao.ac.za and entering your CAO number, or email email@example.com or call 031 268 4444.
Important Closing Dates:
Faculty of Engineering – first semester applications – 30 September
Faculty of Engineering – second-semester applications – 31 May
Faculty of Natural Sciences – 30 September
Analytical Chemistry – second-semester applications – 31 May
Faculty of Management Sciences – 30 September
Applications submitted after 30 September accumulate a late application fee, determined by the CAO.
Important Application Documents (for South African Applicants)
• National Senior Certificate or Statement of Results;
• Senior Certificate;
• Identity Document; and
• Students transferring from other universities should submit an original academic record and a certificate of good conduct.
Non-South African Applicants
• A valid passport and study permit;
• A valid medical aid/health insurance cover;
• Police clearance certificate – part of the requirements as of January
• SGCE, GCE, GCSE, IGCSE or Cambridge School Certificate;
• Five subjects at O Levels including Maths A/B/C, Physical Science A/B/C, English A/B/C, and Technical Drawing A/B/C; and
• Three of the five subjects must have been passed in the same exam sitting.