What is Birth Registration?
A birth certificate is a vital record that documents the birth of a person.
The term “birth certificate” can refer to either the original document certifying the circumstances of the birth or to a certified copy of or representation of the ensuing registration of that birth.
Birth Registration In South Africa
This birth registration process applies to newborn children AND all other persons, irrespective of age.
Birth Registration and passport application take approximately 12 months to be finalized.
One of the parents of the child must be a South African citizen * at the time of birth to enable the child’s birth to be registered in South Africa. Children born out of wedlock may be registered by the mother as a sole parent. If the child born out of wedlock is to be registered in the father’s name, paternity must be acknowledged on form DHA-24.
No errors or amendments are acceptable on the forms. Clear print, in black ink, is required.
The following documentation must be submitted:
- Form DHA-24 Notice of Birth (fully completed). This form is not available online and may never be copied. To obtain form DHA-24, please see below.
- Form DHA-288 is to be completed by applicants under the age of 15.
- Form DHA-288 and DHA-288/A are to be completed by applicants 15 years and older.
- Form BI-529 – By any one of the South African parents.
- Form BI-529 – On behalf of the child/applicant.
- Two (2) identical passport-size photos of the applicant
- Form CON 40 – Affidavit by the parent regarding citizenship or nationality of another country
- Certified copy of the child/applicant’s foreign birth certificate (showing names of both parents)
- Certified copy of marriage certificate of parents if applicable
- Certified copies of parent(s) identity documents or passports (only page with biological data)
- Fully completed passport application for child (if in need).
- Copy of the certificate of the parent(s) authority to hold dual citizenship, and certified copy of parent’s foreign citizenship certificate (if applicable).
- Form DHA-9: All late birth registration applications of persons 16 years and older lodged from abroad MUST include the finger prints. To obtain the DHA-9 Finger Print form, please see below.
There is no fee for the Birth Registration and the first birth certificate is issued free of charge.
Forms, except Form DHA-24 and DHA-9, may be downloaded from www.sahc.org.au.
To obtain the DHA-24 (Notice of Birth) form please send a self-addressed, prepaid, ordinary post envelope (A4 size with correct postage stamps) or an express post envelope, to the South African High Commission, State Circle, Yarralumla, Canberra 2600. Please include a cover note requesting the form and quoting the applicant(s) full name and date of birth. For applicants 16 years and older the DHA-9 form will be posted with the DHA-24 form.
What is the Birth Registration Act in South Africa?
The Births and Deaths Registration Act provides the processes for the birth registration of all children born within South Africa – whether they are born to South African or foreign parents.
How long is Birth Registration In South Africa?
All children born in South Africa must be registered within 30 days of their birth (in terms of the Births and Deaths Registration Act, 1992.)