The Bachelor of Social Work is a professional qualification that provides an understanding of roles, functions, principles, and characteristics of management and administration within social service delivery.
General admission requirements
• Write the National Benchmark Tests (NBTs) AQL
• An NSC aggregate of at least 65% (excluding Life Orientation)
• See further admission requirements under the programs
• Also see the Faculty’s selection guidelines on www.maties.com > Apply > Admission and selection
Home Language 50%
• First Additional Language 40%
Duration 4 years
For admission to the University you need:
• A National Senior Certificate or school-leaving certificate from the Independent Examination Board as certified by Umalusi with admission to bachelor’s degree studies; or
• A university exemption certificate issued by the South African Matriculation Board to students with other school qualifications.
Admission to bachelor’s degree studies requires that you obtain a mark of at least 4 (50-59%) in each of four designated university admission subjects.
Is social work a good career choice?
Social work makes for an incredibly fulfilling yet emotionally taxing career choice.
Professionals enter challenging work environments to aid people facing uphill battles and often find themselves helping with crisis situations, such as mental health or abuse emergencies.
Can I become a social worker without a degree?
You cannot become a social worker without an approved qualification – a BA degree or postgraduate master’s in social work. However, you may be able to find a job as a social work assistant without a degree.
Bachelor of Social Work (BSW / BSocW) Jobs by Salary
|Job Title: Social Worker||Range: R74k – R281k|
|Senior Social Worker||Range: R150k – R510k|
|Technical Advisor||Range: R205k – R898k (Estimated )|
|Social Work Supervisor||Range: R113k – R461k (Estimated )|