Biokinetics The Bachelor of Health Sciences in the field of Biokinetics gives you the knowledge and skill you need to apply scientifically-based physical activity, either to help prevent disease or assist in rehabilitation following the onset of disease.
Applications to Study at University of Free Studies
For degree studies at the University of the Free State, we expect that:
• you have an NSC or NCV with an endorsement that allows entrance to degree studies (Bachelor’s degree) or an equivalent
• you meet all the minimum admission requirements for the programme you intend to study.
Meeting the minimum admission requirements for your chosen/intended programme of study does not guarantee admission, as limited spaces are available in each programme;
• you have a minimum level of 4 (50%) in English Home Language or English First Additional Language, and
• you must pass certain school subjects with a minimum level of achievement in order to take a certain university module.
For example, you must get a mark of 70% for Mathematics in Grade 12 if you plan to study BSc majoring in Physics with Engineering subjects.
Please refer to the section on the faculty-specific admission requirements, which also includes the respective compulsory subjects and achievement levels required per programme.
Visit https://apply.ufs.ac.za. Keep your mobile phone and an active email address ready, as you require both to access and complete the online application form.
Proceed through all the steps and submit your electronic application.
Make sure that you complete the application form properly, e.g. if you need on-campus residence accommodation or financial aid, indicate this in the relevant section.
Upload copies of the following in PDF or JPEG format when you apply for undergraduate studies:
• Your ID if you are a South African citizen
• Your passport if you are an international student
• Your parent’s ID or passport if you are younger than 18
• Your final Grade 11 results with the school’s stamp
• Grade 12 June results with the school’s stamp as soon as it becomes available.
• National Senior Certificate (NSC) if you have already matriculated
• Your academic record, only if you are/were a student at another institution of higher
• USAF accreditation from the examination board for South African universities.
Apply to MB.USAF.ac.za for conditional exemption, foreign conditional exemption, or mature age
Academic excellence is what the UFS is about – the higher your AP score, the better your chances of being chosen and finally admitted to study.
Meeting the minimum admission requirements for your chosen/intended program of study does not guarantee selection and admission, as all
programs have a limited number of spaces available.
Applicants with the highest AP scores are chosen first, and the admission continues until all spaces have been filled.
If you do not meet the minimum admission requirements for your intended/chosen program of study, you will not be selected.
Consult the faculty-specific admission requirements for all the programs you qualify for and apply for the two programs that best fit your personality, purpose, and passion.
Admission can be a complicated process.
To make it easy to understand, the admission process can be summarised in the following steps:
You complete the application.
You will receive an acknowledgment of your application via email within five working days.
That is why your contact details must be correct.
This will be followed by an email with your student number and login details.
Do not lose your password.
Your student number is your username.
This is important in tracking your application.
Within 30 days of submitting your application, you will receive communication from the university with the status of your application, based on
the submitted results that have been evaluated.
You will be CONDITIONALLY ADMITTED based on your Grade 11 or equivalent results, subject to you meeting all the minimum requirements for the intended program of study.
Please note that conditional admission is not applicable to all the selected programs in the Faculty of Health Sciences.
Your FINAL ADMISSION to the programme of your choice will depend on your final Grade 12 results.
You will be notified of the university’s admission decision immediately after your final Grade 12 results have been released by the Department of
Therefore, it is your responsibility to ensure that the contact details on your application form are correct.
CALCULATION OF YOUR ADMISSION POINT(AP) SCORE:
It is important that you thoroughly study the admission requirements of the programs you are interested in.
The UFS calculates your AP score based on the NSC achievement scale.
An AP score consisting of seven levels is used.
Points will be awarded for six academic subjects (note: no points will be awarded for achievement levels lower than 30%).
One point is awarded for Life Orientation from achievement Level 5 (60%) or higher when calculating your AP score for admission purposes.
Application and Admission Requirement for International Students:
• Closing date for international students’ applications for undergraduate studies is 31 August.
• You must have a VALID study visa endorsed for study at the UFS, and not at any other institution in South Africa before you enter South Africa for studies at the UFS.
• You must be a member of a medical aid registered in terms of the South African Medical Schemes Act, as required by the South
African Immigration Act.
Your medical aid MUST be valid for the duration of the academic year (until 31 December), renewable each year.
No travel insurance, hospital plans, or foreign medical aids will be accepted.
• A non-refundable annual administrative levy is charged on all international student accounts.
This fee is added to the annual registration fee payable by all students at the UFS.
• Students from outside the Southern African Development Community (SADC) pay international fees, which are 50% more per module per year compared to the fees paid by South African students.
• The UFS cannot offer financial support (bursaries, loans) to international students. It is therefore important to ensure that you have sufficient financial resources for the planned duration of your studies.
• A first payment is required before you can register as a UFS student.
The Department of Student Finance will communicate the amount and payment deadline to you.
For more information, visit https://www.ufs.ac.za/kovsielife/unlisted-pages/tuition-fees/ Should you fail to pay your tuition fees in total by 30 June, your registration will be suspended.
If you have a scholarship, inform your sponsor of the UFS regulations on registration fees and tuition-fee payments before you register.
• A Universities South Africa (USAF) Certificate of Exemption is required if you do not have an Endorsed South African Senior Certificate.
• English is the principal medium of instruction; therefore, you must have an adequate command of the English language.