There is a general entry requirement for joining the air force as everyone must be fit to serve in a military environment. Each mustering in the SAAF, also known as occupational class in the public service and trade in the technical environment of civil aviation, has requirements for specific educational qualifications, additional personal attributes and a willingness to serve under the working conditions of that mustering.
The minimum general entry requirements for the Military Skills Development Program (MSDS) are that you must be:
- A South African Citizen (No dual citizenship)
- Age between 18 and 22 at the time of joining (Not more than 26 for graduates)
- Comply with medical fitness requirements for appointment in the SANDF
- Currently in Grade 12 or completed Grade 12 or equivalent with subjects specific to a career selection
- Not be area bound
- Must not have a criminal record
- Physically Fit and Medically Fit
- Comply with all the prescribed requirements for appointment in the SANDF
- Must be willing to relocate and to participate in deployments both in South Africa and abroad if required to do so
- Be recommended by a selection board.
Apart form these general requirements, additional requirements might have to be met, depending on the specific training demands of some of the more specialised occupations.
Applications complying with the minimum requirements will be subjected to further screening. Candidates identified will then be invited to partake in a selection process.
The selection process entails the following:
The aim is to assess the candidates aptitude and potential to develop in the position that was applied for. The nature of these tests will depend on the position applied for.
Selection Board (formal interview):
A Selection Board will be conducted in order to assess the applicants interest in the position applied for, as well as his or her interest in the Defence Force in general. The interview will also focus on self- confidence, leadership potential and communication skills.
A comprehensive medical evaluation will be conducted by appointed military medical practitioners in order to assess the applicants medical history and current medical status. All applicants must be declared fit for military training before commencement.
Fingerprints of applicants will be sent to the Criminal Record Bureau for verification. Records of convictions will be evaluated based on the severity thereof and how recently the offence(s) occurred.
Offer of Employment
Successful applicants will receive an offer of employment. Candidates who are not successful will be informed by correspondence. It is unfortunate that not all applicants who are recommended for training will receive an offer of employment due to the large amount of applications received.